Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It Is Good To Be Back

I try to post as often as possible during the rust-dyeing season which here in Madison, WI is mid April to mid Oct. I did a rust dyeing activity this week I think you should know about. Through the store at Rust-Tex.Com someone ordered a packet of rust dust. It is used with tannin, rust flakes and a rusty pan to make what I call "Stormy Skies" fabric.
Stormy Skies Fabric
I had rust dust but it was not bagged up and ready for sale so I decided I would bag some up in the indoor Rust-Tex studio in the basement as it was too cold to work in the outdoor Rust-Tex studio on the deck. I put on a dusk mask as I usually do and started to process the rust dust. I noticed it settling on EVERYTHING. My laundry room is the next open space over from the Rust-Tex studio so I quit after I had enough rust dust to make a 1.5oz bag. When I blew my nose I knew it was time to invest in a respirator!!!
I did some research on what kind to buy. I went out that night and bought a particle respirator. I was able to work outside the next day. After fitting the respirator carefully to my face I made 7 bags of rust dust and 12 bags of rust flakes. When I blew my nose after an hour and a half the tissue was perfectly clean. Good investment!!!

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow! Good to know! I was just thinking that it's getting warm enough for me to play with my rusty things out in the garage... they've been sitting out there for months now, waiting for me!
BTW, where did you buy your respirator?

Lois Jarvis said...

I don't usually wear a dust mask when dust dyeing just when working with rust dust.
I bought my respirator at my local Ace Hardware.