Monday, June 07, 2010

Winners of the Rust-Tex Collection

Judy Momenzadeh, has been quilting for 12 years and sewing most of her life. She started out traditionally but became fascinated with free motion quilting so started doing art quilts. Somewhere along the line she discovered digital techniques on fabric, that has become her passion. She loves taking photos of nature and using them as metaphors for emotions, feelings, and life experiences.
Judy is a confessed technique junkie!

Jars Of Clay, My People

Fused, raw edge applique using original inkjet images printed on commercial, rust dyed cottons and metallic paper applied to commercial fabrics, embellished with oil paint sticks and water soluble wax crayons, free-motion and machine guided quilting using rayon and polyester threads.
My inspiration came from a Bible scripture that says we are but jars of clay, our essence; our being is the Spirit within. "My People" represents friends, families, communities, mankind. The jars represent to me individual people and the incredible potential that we all have within.
Judy shares a blog with two fiber art friends, but she seems to do most of the posting.
Judy’s Blog: http://www.miamithreads.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Gay Denesse said...

Wow, what beautiful work. Lois, I've been rust dying on and off for a couple of years and I use vinegar and water. I get pretty good results. I see on your website that you use salt. Is there some advantage to using salt? I should rewatch your CD that I bought a couple of years ago. Although, I live in New Orleans, and it doesn't take much effort to rust anything. Gay

Lois Jarvis said...

I use salt on cotton and vinegar on silk and rayon. I seem to get better results that way.

Gay Denesse said...

Thanks, I'll be trying salt this weekend. I've ordered some tannin from you and can't wait to try it. I saw the galaxy technique somewhere on your blog, which I don't think is on the Rust-Tex CD that I have which is from 2006. I want to try that. I've been rusting peices of light colored floral and calico prints, and cotton voile. They look very vintage.

Lois Jarvis said...

You can see the double galaxy I made from a Godiva chocolate bottle and a vanilla extract bottle here:

http://rust-tex.blogspot.com/2010/03/rust-dyeing-kiln-first-attempt.html

The results are here:

http://rust-tex.blogspot.com/2010/03/csi.html

Gay Denesse said...

Lois, Is there anything that I could use in place of sumac? I live in New Orleans, in the middle of the city, and really don't know if sumac is native to this area. If it is, it could be poison sumac. Could I use tea made from Earl Grey? Thanks, Gay

Lois Jarvis said...

You can use tea 4 tea bags to 1 cup boiling water. Let it cool, squeeze out the tea bags and then use it. Keep it in the fridge to keep it from spoiling. Or you could order tannin from the store at Rust-Tex.com. It is a powder. There is enough in the bag to make a quart. For the stormy skies technique I use about 1/3 of a cup per FQ.

Kate Weston said...

I bought the rust tex cd and have not been able to get it to run on the 3 different computers we have tried. Please tell me what is needed to get it to run. Getting frustrated...
Kate

Lois Jarvis said...

Kate, you are not the only one having trouble with it. Send me you address through Rust-Tex.Com and I will send you a new one.