Thursday, February 18, 2010

Winners of the Rust-Tex Collection


The 24 winners for the Rust-Tex Collection have been selected!!!

My plan is to post one every day for 24 days. If you are a regular reader of this blog you know things don't always go according to my plans.

Today I am posting about BJ Reed.


Mum's the Word


Here is what she wrote me about this quilt:

Fall for me is the loveliest time of year, with mums making the last show of color before winding into the bleaker winter. Large flower heads in rusts, yellow, white, and rose make a lovely mix. This year I wanted to bring that show indoors!

You can read more by following this link:


Ms Reed's focus as an artist has been on creating contemporary art quilts, often with a nature theme to reflect her love of gardening and abstracts to showcase various surface design techniques. Besides art quilts, she also creates machine home embroidery designs, quilt patterns, hand dyed fabric and hand-crafted rice paper flowers.

I love this quote from her home page of her Bunch of Bloomers home page, "To breathe life into each fiber embodies part of my soul. -BJ Reed"

Detail of Mum's the Word

Machine pieced, rust dyed cotton, overlaid with Chrysanthemum bloom transfers, Inko dye transfers, machine embroidery, hand dyed fabric, stenciled lettering, patinated copper leaf and two leaf transfers, free motion machine quilting with echo hand stitching.

2 comments:

Sue Reno said...

Beautiful work! I like the color choices.

Anonymous said...

The shades of lavender compliment the orange and rust hues. The quilting enhances the elements in the design. A treat for the eyes!
Sue Jackan