Friday, March 12, 2010

Winners of the Rust-Tex Collection

Jill Robinson is the Rust-Tex Collection (RTC) winner I am posting about today. I found this quote on Jill's website, "Using renewable fibers and recycling the beautiful cloths of the past is a driving force in my work. I often combine my own fabrics with commercial textiles to achieve variety and complexity. When I'm in the design stage, I pull out the hand-dyed cottons, the silks, a treasured piece of vintage linen-- all of it!"
You can visit Jill's website by clicking on the link below:
While there be sure to look at the AMAZING works of art on her gallery page!

Solar Crust

This quilt was inspired by three rusty circular saw blades and a lawn rake. When combined, the cloths created a solar image

This is what Jill said about making her entry in to the RTC, "Solar Crust was my first attempt to make a rusted fabric the focal point of a piece. It sat in my stash a long time before I found companion fabrics that worked but didn’t compete with it. I did a lot of free-motion stitching on the rusted part; the discharged part has some also but is mostly straight stitching with heavy cotton thread. I enjoy hand-dyeing over rusted fabric, too. There are many possibilities that I’ll be experimenting with—when summer comes to Wisconsin!"

Solar Crust

Machine pieced, rust and tannin dyed cotton/linen bend, discharged cotton and discharged linen; free-motion and straight-line machine quilted with cotton threads.


Jill will have a Special Exhibit at Minnesota Quilters, Inc., 32nd Annual Quilt Show and Conference, June 17—19, 2010 St. Cloud, Minnesota. By calling her a fiber artist MQI is defining her and her exhibit. The exhibit will feature Jill's hand-dyeing process and surface design by highlighting three techniques; dyeing, using resists, and discharging. Several pieces will showcase her glorious results.

Don't look for Solar Crust, it will not be there. To see Solar Crust you have to go to Spring International Quilt Festival-Chicago. I will be in booth 1632 selling rust dyed fabric and a CD with the 25 winners of the RTC. Hope you can make it!!!

No comments: