Thursday, April 17, 2008

Final Post on Ice Dyeing

One morning, when I looked into the Rust-Tex Dye Studio, I found that the big pile of snow in the studio was almost melted. I took a picture to show you what I saw. Those two whitish things in the middle of this photo are the two bundles of cloth, muffin cups, and sidewalk salt. The local newspaper coined a new word that day, "snirt". It is a combination of the words for snow and dirt. It is the perfect word for old snow piles, as you can see by all the litter the melting snow left behind. It made the ice dyeing bundles VERY dirty!!! One of the bundles was cotton, and here is what it looks like after I washed out all the the snirt and ironed it.
This last picture is of the linen bundle. The damask weave shows up very nicely but the rust patterning is not spectacular.
I don't think I will be doing any ice dyeing next winter. There were too many drawbacks.
  • 1. Too cold for me to work in the Rust-Tex Studio
  • 2. There was not enough warmth or moisture to create the really cool patterning Rust-Tex is famous for
  • 3. Snirt

Come back tomorrow to see a student's "Trees" fabric from the rust dyeing class I taught at International Quilt Festival.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deb Lacativa said...

And you work with damasks too! how is it we haven't stumbled over one another before now? My deck is my studio too. and now....back to work.