Monday, March 24, 2008

Dyeing Easter Eggs con't

Some one posted a comment to yesterdays post asking "Does it only work with silk fabric and does it ruin the fabric?"
To answer the first part of that question, I read through all the comments on the Martha Stewart website under this topic and found that it only works with silk.
To answer the second part, I have the fabric that I used. I washed and ironed it today, then I compared it to the original fabrics. Here is a picture I took of the three that changed the most.
The original tie is on the left and the piece used for dyeing the egg is on the right. You can see the purple is all gone from the tie farthest to the left. The middle tie really lightened up. The small print tie on the right, which I thought the most successful, looks like the red ran and made the print darker. There is a video on Martha's site about this and she says you can reuse the tie 5 times. It is trial and error. Just like real life.
(Madison, WI offically has broken the 100" mark for snow this season...sigh...)

No comments: